Who may file an application for Crime Victims' Compensation?

State law permits persons who have been emotionally and/or physically injured in a reported crime to receive certain benefits from SOVA. Individual victims, immediate family members, or their legal representatives can apply for consideration. An agency or medical facility should not file for a victim, even if the victim is in its care or custody. Please contact SOVA for specific information regarding eligible crimes SOVA will consider.

What SOVA pays for?

Based upon eligibility and the individual needs of the crime victim, SOVA is authorized to provide up to a total of $15,000 for medical and dental services with proper documentation.

Please note other services and stipulations below:

  • Counseling services (Please review the booklet under the provider tab for additional information)
  • Lost wages/loss of support (Please review the booklet under the provider tab for additional information)
  • Funeral expenses (Payment for burial may be up to $4,000)

Can my dependents, parents, siblings or spouse file a claim for services without me?

No. SOVA must have an application on the main/direct victim before we can consider providing services to family members/indirect victims. There are specific crimes SOVA will consider for family members.

Who should sign the application?

The actual person filing for benefits should sign the application if he or she is 18 years of age or older. If not, the parent with the physical custody or the person who legally represents the victim must sign as the "Claimant." (SC§ 16-3-1110) This should be the person who is assuming responsibility for the victim's crime related bills. Persons under 18 years of age are ineligible to be listed as a claimant to file for SOVA benefits.

Will SOVA assist with my relocation expenses?

No. SOVA will not assist with any relocation expenses.

What doesn’t SOVA pay?

SOVA cannot pay for property damage, property replacement cost, crime scene clean-up, household utilities, babysitting expenses, groceries, attorney fees or "pain and suffering."

Can SOVA provide me with a referral for services?

SOVA will provide the victim/claimant with contact information for the victim advocate located in the city or county in which the crime occurred. The advocate will be able to assist the victim by providing them with resources in their area.

If I was working at the time the incident occurred will SOVA pay for my expenses?

If the victim was working at the time of the incident and injured on the job, the victim must apply with Workers’ Compensation. Per Section 16-3-1190, any award made may be offset by the amount of payment received from any private or public source, including an award of Workers’ Compensation.

I was a victim of a traffic accident. Which traffic offenses will SOVA consider?

SOVA will consider assisting victims of the following traffic related offenses: DUI, Felony DUI, Hit and Run, Leaving the Scene of an Accident, Reckless Driving, and Reckless Homicide.

I was involved in an auto accident and there is not enough insurance to cover my expenses. Can SOVA help me? Will SOVA contact my attorney?

Your claim will be reviewed and considered for eligibility upon receiving supportive documentation that your expenses exceed the amount of the insurance settlement. Supportive documentation includes the settlement statement, copies of your bills, and documents from your attorney. Yes, SOVA will contact your attorney to obtain documents and inform him/her of Subrogation Rights.

If I am a resident of SC and was victimized in another country that does NOT have a victim compensation program will SOVA assist me?

The victim may apply to SOVA for eligibility consideration, as outlined in Section 16-3-1210, providing they have proof of residency.