How do I appeal a denied application?
If your application is denied, you will receive an appeal packet with the denial. You must complete this appeal packet and return it to SOVA within 30 days of the date on the denial letter. If you do not return it within these 30 days, your request for an appeal will not be considered.
The Appeal Process
- The crime victim must fill out the appeal application when they receive notice that their application for benefits has been denied.
- The crime victim must explain why they disagree with the decision and submit additional documentation they feel may assist in their appeal.
- The crime victim must return the appeal application to SOVA within 30 days of the date on the denial letter, or their claim will be closed. Once a claim is closed, it cannot be reopened.
- Staff provides support and advocacy to victims for appeal hearings.
- Pursuant to S.C. law 16-3-1140, the Appeal Panel's decision is final.